Thursday, May 29, 2014

My New Indian Family in KL

My New  Friends
I was waiting for a taxi after the conference and I was chatting to two pre-school teachers, also sisters, who had been attending. Their father arrived with mother, husband, daughter in the car and they insisted in bringing me to the hotel in their car and this was the start of a delightful encounter while I was staying in KL. They were an Indian family and they insisted in going to an Indian vegetarian restaurant where I could taste the best coffee and chapatti etc…I had been eating all weekend but of course couldn’t resist an Indian curry, dahl, chutnies etc. I learnt that the mother had a food stall and cooked every day except Sunday and perhaps I showed too much interest but anyway they invited me out again the next evening to visit the stall. I accepted the invitation and they dropped me off at the hotel, reminded and amazed at the kindness and generosity of Malaysians even in urban settings. 
The view from my window
 The next morning after a delicious breakfast in my very smart hotel, I went over to the British Council office where I was spending the day with the Director of the ELTDP project. The office was very modern and completely open plan with everyone at a desk station which changes every day. What struck me was how multicultural the staff seemed and how  high tech the classrooms were-a far cry to teaching in a small primary school. Anyway it was very interesting and I spent a very pleasant day there. 
The curry stall
The evening arrived and my lovely new Indian friends came to collect me. The mother’s food stall was in a suburb called Cheras and was quite far out of the centre. The mother of course wanted me to try many things and I patiently sat there eating with everyone watching to see if I liked it. After I could eat no more and thought the evening was finished they said they had another surprise for me and off I went to Brickfields or otherwise known as Little India.  I was taken to a little shop where they insisted in choosing and buying the essential spices needed forthe wedding curry – curry paste is my usual solution but now I have to go about it the Indian way. We said our fond farewells and promised to keep in touch and that I thought was it but no!!
Petronas Towers at night

The next day I got a phonecall from them saying they wanted to take me to the airport. It would have been far easier to go by the express train but they wouldn’t be dissuaded and so we arranged that they would me at 7.30 pm. At 8.10 they arrived and I was starting to mildly panic and despite being a long drive and me wondering why I had agreed to this, they got me there in time. “Just leave me at the airport” I said , but would they listen? No, my adopted Indian family stuck to me until they could go no further and then they found a place where they could wave to me. I was quite overcome by their kindness and genuine desire to make my stay in KL memorable. They were not after anything and were just a lovely family and I feel very humbled by their kindness. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment