Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas

Stockings for all the family!

Presents around our Christmas tree
                                                                                              Christmas Eve, 2012

Dear Friends in Ranau,

   I promised you that I wouldn't forget you during the holidays and as it is Christmas Eve and Andrew is cooking for our evening Christmas Eve meal, I am going to sit down and try and catch up on my blog. The last two weeks have been hectic and I have seen lots of my friends, spent too much money, eaten far too much, decorated the house, remembered how to cook, bought presents, watched TV, sung carols, visited my old school and welcomed all of our children back and basically have become my former self! It is like nothing has really changed and that my life with you all in Ranau is a dream.
  I have had a few moments though when I've found the amount of money, food and alcohol that is consumed by the majority of us in France and Britain rather obscene especially when there are homeless people begging in the cities. It is not like Ramadan when most people are fasting for a month or at least respecting the fasting - we seem to do the opposite for a month! Anyway, Christmas is a lovely mid-winter celebration and a time of year for family and friends to indulge themselves and cheer themselves up during the winter - a season you find difficult to imagine. It is not cold at the moment but it is very wet and there are many places flooded in England.
   I can't believe that this time next week I will be on my way back to Malaysia. At the moment I can't think of it and I'm only thinking and enjoying being at home with all the family. I must close now as on Christmas Eve  we like to think that a man in a red suit and a long white beard delivers presents  into stockings hung by the chimney, with the help of flying reindeer. I know you keep Christmas as a more religous festival but not so many people remember that here.

   Whatever you plan tomorrow,wherever you are in the world, I hope you all have a happy day.

                          See you soon,

                               Merry Christmas,

                                      Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment