Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mentor Land




I feel that I have been in Mentor Land and for 2 solid weeks and although in that land there are many interesting, great people, it is nice to be in another world for a change and talk about things that aren't related to Education, phonics, literacy, team self review, KPIs (don't ask!?) blah blah... I am installed in Masada Backpackers, my favourite backpackers in KK where Peter and Kelly treat me like their family - well not quite, as I still pay!. It is so nice to have that homely feel where people of all ages chat about their life and travel experiences in the communal living room and since Friday night I have met a lovely German couple, a charming Irish teacher, a Canadian teacher and an English Insurance salesman etc.... I seem to be in demand for my knowledge of places to visit and tours around Sabah and the best places to stay and even my car has been of use for lifts to bus stations.
Manana paradise
Since I last wrote I have been up to the Tip of Borneo and back and then spent the weekend at Manana with lots of other mentors which was great fun. Nothing had changed since my last visit in September 2013 and Awi and Ali G are still the men in charge who somehow manage to do everything. There were no jellyfish stings this time and I took the kayak out for a couple of hours and sadly did not see the turtle who popped his head up to look at my fellow kayakist who was behind me. On the Sunday afternoon we went straight off to Kuching where, (no I'm not complaining,) I have been installed in the very nice Hilton once again. It was the first phase overview of the mentors who arrived 5 weeks previously who I got to know quite well so it was really nice to see them all again. Kuching has,as always, a charm which I would like to enjoy more but the day was a long one from 9 am until nearly 6 pm every day and we all felt saturated with things to remember.
Local vegetables
However, I survived, as did the rest, and this week coming I will be based at the Backpackers in KK in preparation for moving in finally to my new house in Tuaran next weekend. I am still leading a nomadic lifestyle wearing random clothes and am looking forward to the day I can really unpack. Andrew has arrived safely in Papua New Guinea from the Solomon Islands and our time zones are getting closer. My thoughts are very much with all the families who are waiting for news of the Malaysian Airlines aircraft that is missing and let us all hope that they will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment