Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hari Raya continues......

Mount Kinabalu yesterday morning


The celebrations of Hari Raya are not over yet! We are now celebrating in the schools and  I remember in the first year when I arrived I was shocked that school days were spent celebrating Hari Raya and that lavish amounts of money were spent on food but now on my third Hari Raya, I accept and love it although I do wish there were more funds for books. I have already been to two celebrations and have another three to go!! It is really lovely to see the children dress up in the glorious colours and go around eating, dancing and singing with such joy. Heidi remarked on the fact about how nice it was to see adults having such fun without any help from alcohol and it has made me realise how dependent in the West we are on alcohol for having a "good time".

Pupils from Kampong Libang

The Orangemen

   The realisation that I only have 5 weeks left is beginning to dawn on me and already I know that the schools are planning farewell parties and I'm dreading the saying goodbye to these lovely warm friendly people in Sabah who have been so welcoming to me during my stay here. We have still many things to do, discuss, forms to fill in and things to close but I think September will be a month of farewells and packing and not much else. Fortunately I will still have the sewing machine that I borrowed, some books and my kindle - I should be fine!

Pupils from Pekan 2 Ranau

My dear teacher friends

Singing
Posing
Eating

Sitting



Peace signing

No comments:

Post a Comment