Saturday, May 26, 2012

Kuching again!

      As my camera has returned from its holiday in Kuching and is safely back in Ranau with its owner I thought I would share some of the photographs that I very hurriedly took on my short visit last week. Kuching is the capital of Sarawak and until 1942 with the Japanese invasion, was under the rule of the Brooke family for a hundred years. The first Rajah, as he anointed himself, was James Brooke who was an adventurer with an inflated ego who was determined to have his own personal kingdom. He managed to be given Sarawak as a reward from the Sultanate of Brunei for helping with an uprising. He then proceeded to attempt to control piracy and head-hunting with great difficulty but eventually did bring law and order to Sarawak as well as celebrating the culture and heritage of the many ethnic groups.









 Kuching which means "cat" in Malay, gets its name from the stream that came from "Cat's Eye Hill"  where there was an abundance of Green Longan fruit which is commonly known as "Cat's eye". I do intend to go back at some stage so I will find out more later.
  I have been attending the Mid Year review this week before the school holidays. Patrick will be arriving next Sunday!
A Christian wedding I was invited to yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment