Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ka'amatan is over!

Check the silver balls!
The last day of the harvest celebration of Ka'amatan is nearly over
and apparently there are fires burning as I write. The culmination of the month of celebrations was held at the Cultural Village near Kota Kinabalu and of course we had 30 and 31 st May as public holidays so I decided to make an effort to go and see what was going on. The closing ceremony was held in a huge hall and fortunately I knew someone on the Ranau committee who got me a place behind all the VIP's. The First Minister was there and he was seated on a throne and then the VVIP's like Ambassadors and Consulates were on the cane sofas until eventually the public were sitting on benches! The speeches were very long but the rituals and the dancing were well worth waiting for. Every region did their own dance and all the costumes were very different with some amazing head gear. There was a dance/ drama and singing and at the end of the show they decided to do the bird dance and since I seemed to be the only white person apart from the Romanian Ambassador I ended up at the front dancing with all the VIP's! I don't think anyone knew me so it didn't matter and they thought for a tourist that I danced reasonably well. I did not tell them that I am becoming an expert of bird dances in Ranau! Outside the hall there were traditional houses with people doing crafts, singing, playing musical instruments, eating and drinking. The final of the beauty pageant was in the afternoon and I didn't stay but I think you'll agree there are some beautiful women in Sabah. I love the way that Ka'amatan is embraced with such enthusiasm. Of course it is a pagan festival, that involves alcohol and women showing off their arms and legs but what the hell - it is only one month of every year. Here's to next Ka'amatan as I have another glass of lihing! I took so many photos it was very difficult to choose so this is only a small selection.
A 4 year old doing a bird dance!

A bamboo saxophone
The Prime Minister cutting the rice





No comments:

Post a Comment