Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fireworks in Kuching


The End of the World?!
It is Sunday already and it seems like weeks ago since I last wrote, not just a week. I have been in Kuching helping, watching and contributing to the induction of 13 new mentors, some of whom I interviewed for the job. It was really interesting to meet everyone in person rather than just imagining what they looked like which is the downfall of telephone interviews. They were a lovely group of people who all seemed to gel and were a wide range of ages, nationalities and work experience and I'm confident will all be fine in their new jobs. We were staying at the Hilton which has the most amazing view over the river and there happened to be a huge conference for Tourism in Asia in Kuching that week with delegates from all over.
The view from my hotel room
 The Prime Minister of Malaysia was there to make the opening speech and of course was staying at the Hilton. I'm afraid I can't tell you that I went in the lift with him as all the lifts were guarded but I did walk over his red carpet by accident and watched and listened to his speech live on a big screen which was interesting as I was amazed at what a plummy English accent he had - UK public school I suspect. At the end of the evening there was an amazing firework display and I felt that I had the best view ever and the final firework just lit up the sky and it felt like the end of the world had come. Thankfully it hadn't and I got back safely to KK for Friday and a visit to a school .
 A busy beach nearby!
    As I am still homeless, a very kind mentor is allowing me to stay in her 3 bedroom flat which is in a huge block with about 8 other identical blocks. We are in D block which sounds charming! Having never lived in such a flat before I'm trying to decide whether I like it or not. The flat is very clean, modern and new with 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living room. There is a swimming pool, gym, badminton court etc... for everyone in the centre and a security guard at the gate. Although the corridors and lifts are rather bleak, it is all clean and there is no graffiti and everyone seems to keep behind their iron gates and doors. I can certainly see the advantages of living in a place like this but I don't think it is for me, long-term anyway and I'll wait until Rachel's house becomes vacant in March. It is Chinese New Year on Friday and the celebrations will continue for two weeks. In Ranau I usually see them practising the lion dance for weeks before but so far nothing except lots of red lanterns and Chinese music played everywhere. Hopefully this week I will see some more.
Block H beside D

No comments:

Post a Comment