Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lisa and Waterfalls

Last night's sunset
I remember my mother (Happy Birthday today, Mummy) telling us just before she died that Niagara Falls was really boring and that it was "just water, water, water". Well I have never been to any really famous waterfalls like Victoria, Niagara, Iguazu so my experience is limited but today Lisa and I hiked up to Langanan Falls in the Poring National Park and yes it was water, water, water, but Mummy dear it wasn't boring at all!
Langanan Falls













It was the highest waterfall that I've ever been under and it was beautiful, mesmerising and quite magical. I was trying to imagine what it must have been like to just come across these amazing waterfalls without any warning. We knew that it was our destination and yet we were quite taken aback and amazed when we actually saw it. One thing that I've noticed on my travels is that if a place involves a certain amount of physical exercise to get there, tourists won't bother to go. Ijen Volcano was much more spectacular than Bromo but the hike up put people off . So today Lisa and I hiked through beautiful rainforest for three hours on our own only meeting three people at the waterfall.
Another rafflesia!

Canopy walk










   Lisa had a trip down to the Kinabatangan River last week and in the first half hour had seen an orangutan and then a crocodile rearing out of the river and eat a wild boar! The rest of the time was  quite quiet after that but she did manage to see the usual - proboscis monkeys, silver-leaf monkeys, hornbills, kingfishers etc.... I'm sorry to sound so blase but hey I've nearly been here 2 years now! Apart from that we have been to the Tip of Borneo again and the usual Ranau sights - if you are interested, Lisa has some wonderful photos on her blog lisasontheroad.blogspot.com and there are only photos - no ramblings! Anyway, next weekend we are going to the Rainforest Festival in Kuching - a 3 day Festival of World Music which we are really looking forward to and then Lisa will be off to Thailand on her last leg of her 5 month trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment