Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gong Xi Fat Cai




Happy New year of the Goat to all my Chinese friends and family. As I write I can hear the firecrackers and fireworks going on around me and the celebrations will continue for a month I believe. I know there seems to be some confusion about it being the year of goat or sheep but apparently in Chinese there is only the word - yang meaning a ruminant with horns which could mean either sheep, goat or even antelope. So I hope that has made things clearer! Anyway I'm afraid I haven't done anything very Chinese in Tuaran as I don't know any Chinese and most Chinese families have a very family day at home. There has been lots of gonging and I've seen a lion dance but for the last two days I have been doing a lot of sewing and other things in preparation for the Symposium.  I went to climb up the beautiful pagoda in Tuaran today only to find it closed and so I will have to return again another time.


  The exciting news is that the last proofs of our storybooks have been checked and they go to the printers tomorrow morning. Anna (the mentor responsible) and I are very excited at seeing them nearly ready and of course when we actually see them in print it will be even better. I think they look great and we are hoping to sell lots at the Symposium and the profits will be going to the school and the illustrators. There apparently will be media interest and in particular the stories of the illustrators who have come from the local villages and will be present for the signing of the book. More will be revealed in the coming weeks!







No comments:

Post a Comment