Sunday, October 26, 2014

Cowboys and Bajaus in Kota Belud

   
The Amazing Mt. Kinabalu
 Last week was a relatively calm one compared to some and I was able to visit some schools which is always a pleasure. Friday afternoon arrived and I headed my car up the mountain to head towards "home" ( Ranau) on a mission. I actually had been asked to help out with looking after Ella, a 4 year old, whilst her parents and big sister Bea were running in a race around Sabah Tea Gardens. Of course I managed to call in and see a few people and had my evening meal at Slagon Homestay and caught up with Lungkiam and a few others before heading off to Poring Hot Springs where I was staying with the family ready to be on duty when I was needed. The runners left at the ungodly hour of 5 am to be ready for a 6 am departure and Ella and I followed later to be around the finish. Bea who was the youngest competitor at 10 years old, flew round the 10km course with her mother and even got a special prize of  50 ringgits. I visited all my old haunts like the Saturday bundles and the vegetable market  before heading back down the mountain again. I really do miss Ranau - the people; the scenery and the volume of jungle noise that surrounds the atmosphere at night - it is very loud!


   Anyway  I went back via Kota Belud where I was dropping a mentor off and it was the famous KB festival weekend where lots of things go on such as horse and buffalo races, sports and games and is the highlight of the year for the bajaus of Kota Belud. The Padang (field) is surrounded by stalls selling food and other bits and pieces. We met up with the colleagues in KB and went to watch the races in the stadium and before we knew it we were asked up to the VIP stand based purely on the colour of our skin! I supposed I am used to it now but it still seems rather strange selecting people like that and not having a clue who we were.
 
 We joined in the fun and cheered and clapped for all the races that we watched. We entered the lucky draw and even had to draw some names and guess what?  My name was chosen and I won a bright pink plastic drink dispenser something that I'd never thought of owning before but now I have one I think it could prove to be useful. So that was the exciting afternoon in KB and then I left and headed home to get on with the sewing. Sarong and Ko have their first big order - 20 aprons for a restaurant!



No comments:

Post a Comment