Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Year of the Horse and tremors in Ranau

The Pagoda in Tuaran
So the lion dances, red lanterns, fireworks and loud firecrackers announced the beginning of the Year of the Horse.I was in Tuaran staying with friends for the start of the Chinese New Year and apart from the beautiful Chinese Pagoda being lit up there was very little to see because it is like Christmas with us, it is a time of families being reunited and spending time together. There are of course the red envelopes with money and oranges given out to represent prosperity and good luck for the year but most of the celebrations go on behind closed doors amongst the Chinese community. Tuaran, which is a small town situated on the coast at the bottom of Mount Kinabalu, is where I am going to be actually living when my house will be vacant in March. 
Wild horses on the beach

 I was staying with Ayfer and Mathieu and on the public holiday we went on an exploration of the beaches and found 2 deserted beaches which I think were at least 2 or 3 miles long. There are a few rather run-down "resorts" on the beach which have seen better days and we came across a huge millionaire's house which looked abandoned and that was it. There is so much potential for tourism in Sabah but the roads and lack of funding mean that it will be hopefully kept a secret for a little longer. Meantime I continue to lead a nomadic life staying with friends and in backpackers and then this weekend I have returned to Ranau and the Homestay where Emily and I arrived on our first evening in Ranau - nearly three years ago.

Mount Kinabalu looking splendid this morning
   Four months isn't so long since I left Ranau, however it did feel strange returning and my goodness what a lovely welcome I had from Lungkaim and Othman and the staff of the homestay. They really thought they wouldn't see me again and as I wandered around Ranau yesterday afternoon I visited my old haunts - the sarong shop, roti chanai restaurant, the market etc... it felt good to be back. This morning I had lunch with my dear friends and mentees, Sister Caroline and Asmah and it was so great to see them again even though KFC was not my preferred choice. It was then that I learnt that there had been 2 tremors on Saturday evening which I'm afraid I didn't notice. Apparently it was about 4.5 on the richter scale which isn't very large but apparently they haven't had any tremors since 1994 when a relatively large one broke windows and cracked walls. Now I never knew that I had been living in a seismic area before! I have promised I will visit my village school at Kinapulidan tomorrow who seem to one of the few schools open. As with every Chinese New Year the school holidays seem to vary according to the whim of the schools although the official line is only one day. Well I wish everyone a prosperous and lucky New Year and hopefully the fire element in the horse doesn't spark off any more tremors.
Dear friends in KFC !

No comments:

Post a Comment