Saturday, November 24, 2012

Back from Bako

Lucy and  Anna

The cobra rock










“When you are travelling on your own, you never are alone.” This is what my new friends and I agreed over a few beers in Kuching this evening. I left Kota Kinabalu as a single traveller , shared a taxi from the airport with Anna, a talented, beautiful, young Slovenian and we instantly “hit it off”. Her friend Sam from Switzerland arrived from Singapore so the three of us decided to go off to Bako National Park together. We then met jenk (?) from London on the bus who joined our "party" and then when we got to Bako village, where you hire the boat, we were then joined by Dave, a kiwi on his travels back to NZ for Christmas. This disparate group of all ages went off to Bako National Park and we spent the day together doing a 5 hour trail in the jungle which was hot, sweaty and lovely. We saw very few animals , which is hardly surprising since the local people call us the Elephant people, (big, noisy and grey!) but we did get to know each other. I felt I was on a mini Pilgrim’s Progress with every one telling their traveller's stories at each rest and when I went to wave them off at the end of the day I felt quite sad!

The view from the dorm.
Wild boar everywhere!

 







 
  So I was left in Bako and I stayed in the 4 bed dorm. for 3 nights (3 euro per night) which  was very basic but it was clean and there was a cold shower .However, to wake up in the morning with jungle sounds surrounding you and the most magnificent views of Mount Santubong on the otherside of the estuary was priceless. Each day I went on a trail with a reward destination such as a waterfall, or a beach which were out of adverts for a tropical paradise. I also was very fortunate to share my dorm with another young beautiful, talented girl called Lucy from Dorset and by the time I returned to Kuching I felt fitter, refreshed and I had gained some delightful, new friends who I’m sure I will keep in touch with. So I’ve been spending my last ringitts on Christmas presents and I’m off to Singapore this afternoon – nearly on my last stage of the journey back to France.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment