Friday, July 6, 2012

Fame at last!

"Round and round the garden"
One of the aims of our project is to involve the parents and the community more into school life. This has been quite a difficult one for us all , partly because of the language barrier and partly because of the  negative attitudes some of the head teachers and staff seem to have towards the role of parents. Anyhow, the songbook sales have been an indication of actually how committed the parents are and has been a fun and informal way of getting to "know" each other and regard me as a person rather than an orang puteh. So in all my schools we've launched a series of workshops on literacy and encouraging parents to read at home. In one of the village schools, 33 parents showed up for the first workshop which with only 50 pupils in years 1 and 2 was a very high turn out - and they asked for more, as soon as possible. Another issue in the planning of activities is that a few of the parents are illiterate and at first I thought that could be a problem but it hasn't made any difference and we've had great fun this week, saying rhymes, playing games, illustrating "books" and with their children along too it has been a lovely experience for me and I'm hoping that it is just the beginning and that there are many more to come.
Making books

Bea, who has attended all the workshops!










I was invited to a "Motivational Camp" to give a talk to the Year 6's who are approaching their important UPSR exams in September. What on earth will I talk about, I asked? It doesn't matter, they replied, we just want them to see an orang puteh!! (white man for new bloggers) I accepted the invitation, not because I thought I could motivate anyone but because it was at this isolated village about 5 kms along a gravel road towards the mountain and apparently has spectacular views. So I was collected, as they thought I wouldn't manage the track, and after a bumpy climb arrived to see not just Year 6 waiting for me but the whole school and all the teachers. My Olympic quiz and motivational theme of "excellence"," struggle" blah, blah... went out the window and fortunately I had brought my guitar so ended up singing songs with everyone for an hour. They seemed to enjoy it and apparently just seeing me was opening their horizons! As I was leaving one of the pupils asked for my autograph which started a mob wanting me to sign their exercise books! At last fame and stardom  - I can see why stars have to shorten their signatures to scribbles.
The view from the school

   So what else this week at school? Well this is the season of sports' days and the primary schools not only practise for days, they then have at least 2 days to have the official sports (including the marching ceremony) and then they all have a day off as a reward. I think I'm used to it all now but there are always surprises around the corner. I arrived at a school on Friday ready to video a lesson only to be told that the whole school are doing aerobics. What for I ask? The Ministry of Education has asked all the primary schools to perform aerobics on Tuesday morning as a showing of solidarity for "One Malaysia". What next I wonder!
  Patrick is still down in the jungle and I only hear by short emails that he is ok. He has been allowed to see the pygmy rhinoceros in the research centre and has seen his first orang utan in the wild! I will see him on the 20th July and hear more of his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment