Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today is Hari Raya!

Last night when I went to bed no one was sure when the end of Ramadhan was going to be as apparently it depends on the moon. However this morning the call to prayers went on for an hour and as soon as I got up I could sense the excitement in the air. The children were all walking around the village in their brightest and best clothes, fireworks were being let off - it was official the fasting month was over! The celebrations continue for several days and it is "Open House" for everyone which means Christians, Hindus, Budhists, non believers are all very welcome and everyone enters into the festivities. We visited two houses in the village and I even got involved in some kareoke singing!
Tomorrow I am off on my 3 day jungle safari hoping that I will see orangutans, probiscus monkeys and ????.


 Happy Hari Raya!

1 comment:

  1. la fin de ramadam est malheureusement moins excitante à livarot.. comme tu peux l'imaginer!
    happy safari et bises aux pongos de borneo!

    ReplyDelete